Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Iron Craft Challenge #24--Miniature Christmas Tree


For the 24th Iron Craft Challenge, we were given the theme of the holidays. According to the challenge, "So, we are just going to go with the flow here at Iron Craft and tell you to make something for the holidays for this challenge. Let's face it, that's what most of us are working on right now anyway."

I had the additional challenge of being away in Japan for most of the preparation time. I arrived home on Saturday before the deadline so I decided to work with materials that I could find while in Tokyo. I went to a local florist and found this miniature evergreen plant.

Bare Evergreen Plant
Using materials found at one of the famous Craft Stores in Tokyo (Tokyu Hands), I decided to decorate the tree with: a miniature paper chain (made from quilling strips), miniature Origami cranes (made from traditional Japanese washi), battery operated colored lights, holiday stickers, and imported miniature wooden ornaments.

Angel stickers and paper chain
The tree topper is made from two angel foam stickers that are placed on either side of a top branch of the evergreen. Other foam stickers were used to decorate some of the other branches as well (candy canes and wreaths).

Origami Cranes
Origami cranes (flying crane model) were made from traditional Japanese paper.

Wooden ornaments

Miniature wooden ornaments from Hungary were draped around the plant. After the tree was decorated with miniature battery operated lights, the tree was finished.

The tree was left for the housekeeping staff after I left the hotel. I received a letter of appreciation from the hotel after I left. Apparently, the housekeeping staff took pictures with the tree.


1 comment:

Just Crafty Enough said...

You win the Iron Craft prize this week, crafting while in Japan! I love the story about the housekeeping staff. If is so wonderful to know the things you make are appreciated.